Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Reflection

My host family is on the top floor of their tower, so they naturally have an incredible view of Ruijing, the city inside the greater city of Xiamen in which they reside. A custom in their family is to go out on this one balcony they have off of their living room. There are several occasions when on might go out on this balcony, some of which include: taking a moment if you need to sneeze or cough during a meal, after you finish eating and would like to get some fresh air, if you want to relieve stress during a busy schedule, or even when you just want to allow the breeze to cool you down because believe it or not, the inside of the house is often even warmer than outside. Until last night, I had always just gone out on my own to look at the view or peek at the weather. Late last night I went out on the balcony with Wenjing and we were talking about what it will be like for me to leave and go back the United States, and what our futures had in store for us. He is going to England for two weeks leaving on Saturday. We then sat in silence for a few minutes and I reflected on my trip, what I have experienced and learned, as well as how things are going to be very different when I get back.                                            
All of us together at 胡里山炮台 (Hu Li Shan Cannon Battery)
I realize that this blog includes a lot of stories about things not happening the way they were planned, but 99% of this trip has been incredible in the most life-changing of ways, even though some less-than-ideal things have occurred. Those things are what made this trip fun, memorable, hilarious, and provide a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I have a feeling that the adjustment back home is going to be much more challenging than that of my arrival to China. This is partially because I had been to China twice before, and it also helped to be going with people who, like me, were excited, wanted to experience and comprehend new things, and most importantly learn Chinese. It's not often that I find so many other people who share my seemingly uncommon interest in languages, so I fee more than fortunate to have this opportunity. As we like to say here on our trip when we get the chance to do something expensive or atypical, "thank you taxpayers!" Back to what I was saying about returning home, I have truly gotten used to life here. It was really hard to leave the dorm life to go to our homestay families because we all got so close and accustomed to living together and having the freedom of being on a college campus (especially one that has everything we could possibly need - Xiamen University is basically a small city!) I get to study what I love everyday, and the teachers and chaperones have dedicated their summers to not only putting in their full effort to teach, but to build true friendships with us and make sure that we have an experience to remember. I think I have had more fun with some of the teachers and chaperones here than I ever have at home. I have truly adapted to the style of social interactions of the young Chinese. I am really going to miss the people here, and I thought that I would write a little something about those with whom I have become closest.

No comments:

Post a Comment